[X4U] Wireless and ethernet

Hector Luna polonius19 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 07:31:45 PST 2005

You've only got data transfer through one of the pipes. I don't know which
one is chosen by default and its likely that you can specify one for a
particular app (FTP, etc.) but you aren't going to be splitting the workload
between them.

On servers you'll have two network interfaces (NICs) sharing a single IP.
This is done for load balancing and/or fail over redundancy. But generally,
these server NICs have circuitry that most consumer grade NICs don't. With
consumer grade NICs you generally need third-party utilities to team the
NICs, but I don't see a purpose for going to the trouble and expense for the
scenario you describe.

For convenience I would stick w/ wireless. For speed and reliability, I
would stick w/ the cable.

On 12/20/05, Michel Treisman <treisman at psy.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

> Just wondering.  I have a Netgear adsl modem-router.  I can connect
> to it with an ethernet cable or wirelessly. If my laptop is on the
> table next to the router, I can do both.  Is there any advantage (or
> disadvantage) to using Airport+ethernet cable, rather than just
> ethernet cable?
> Wireless communications are more noisy than  cable, so when I  add
> Airport to the ethernet, am I lowering overall fidelity?
> (Does that make sense?)
>
> Mike

Someday, when the historians study how someone as accomplished as Al Gore
was effectively marginalized by a party without a conscience and kept press,
they're going to be amazed that any of us had opposable thumbs.
- Charles Pierce