[X4U] remote control a headless mini?

Nick Scalise nickscalise at cox.net
Tue Dec 20 08:22:53 PST 2005

> From: net kat <netkat at comcast.net>
>
> Any recommendations on free/cheap software which can be used to
> control a Headless Mac Mini?
> I do some distributed 3D rendering and all I need to do is set up
> things on the remote mini, fire up applications, mount my host
> machine, etc. and don't need to throw down for another monitor.
>
> I am a little wary about the geek factor in terms of user-
> friendliness...

On your Mini, go to the Sharing Pane in System Preferences and check Apple
Remote Desktop (ARD) in the Services tab. (This will turn on a VNC server).
While ARD is selected, click on the Access Priveleges button and set up ARD
how you want.

Now, go download a VNC viewer app like 'Chicken of the VNC' and open a
connection to your Mini...

Good luck,