[X4U] Wireless and Ethernet

Ted Burton egburton at cableone.net
Tue Dec 20 11:23:30 PST 2005

At 10:25 AM +0000 on 12/20/05, Michel Treisman spoke about [X4U]
Wireless and Ethernet thusly:

>Just wondering.  I have a Netgear adsl modem-router.  I can connect
>to it with an ethernet cable or wirelessly. If my laptop is on the
>table next to the router, I can do both.  Is there any advantage (or
>disadvantage) to using Airport+ethernet cable, rather than just
>ethernet cable?

In a similar situation I use wireless. The reason is that I have two
offices and both have wireless that I set up with common passwords
and such; thus when I turn the computer on I am connected no matter
where I am. The computer is not even aware that I changed locations.
Ethernet would require surgery on the building in the other office.

My son uses wireless at college and here. He just turns on his
PowerBook and is up and running. There is a computer in our home that
can't do wireless, so the router is connected to a switch in the
basement that connects to that computer and to a sewing machine and
to ....