[X4U] Tiger System Files appear that should be hidden

Spoolman Nancy nanc at spoolman.com
Wed Dec 21 06:19:51 PST 2005

This Fall we received new G5 iMacs in. The normal route is to set one
up with what is needed on them for the particular lab/building. Then
I would clone using SuperDuper! (I used to use asr.) My life became
so busy with our new student program I was unable to set up the
computers this year. They had hired a guy to help out. His knowledge
was PC only. This was done while I was out of town at a training
workshop. Whatever copy program he used, left system files that
should be hidden, out in the open. They look like alias'. My fear is
that a teacher is going to toss one of these folders and hose the
system, even though we've said not to. Some just don't always hear
correctly. Anyway, the guy is new to Macs so wasn't sure which
folders should appear at the root level.

The folders that show up are: etc, tmp, var and volumes. All but the
Volumes folder looks like an alias.

Is there a command or something that would help me to hide these files?

Nanc