[X4U] Piano replacement via (wireless) Garageband. M-Audio Keystation 88es.

Jon Marett jmarett at mac.com
Wed Dec 21 14:14:19 PST 2005

On Dec 21, 2005, at 1:42 PM, B. Kuestner wrote:

> <snip>
> Jerry, could you recommend a good digital piano or a selection with
> different pros and cons in different price ranges? I opted for
> GarageBand initially because I expected more flexibility and
> quality from the synthesizer and because I expect that we need to
> connect with the stereo anyway. I just cannot imagine that the
> built-in speakers of anything are really worthwhile to produce
> sound that reasonably resembles a piano. No, I'm not a
> perfectionist, so by "reasonably" I really mean just that. For that
> reason I would rather save the weight and size and cost of built-in
> speakers, amplifiers and synthesizers. The latter might be the
> exception, if it allows to take the Mac out of the equation.
>
> I explained to her, what would be the minimum cable fiddling to be
> expected. Well, she knows that it's that or nothing ... or a bigger
> appartment. (c: Because the appartment is a non-issue at the
> moment, then the first option definitely beats the second. And her
> smile clearly communicated her excitement about the end of musical
> abstinence.
>
> Björn

I forgot to mention that with my setup, I am using M-Audio DX-4
Monitors connected via the FireWire 410 and I'm very happy with the
sound quality. That might be overkill for your needs, but a decent
set of speakers connected directly to your mac might provide all the
sound you need and eliminate the need to connect to your stereo. Of
course headphones are an option too, but not practical for more than
one listener.

jon

"Be the change that you want to see in the world."
-Mohandas Gandhi