[X4U] concerns with Preview

stephen e. schwartz ses at bnl.gov
Thu Dec 22 10:36:15 PST 2005

By and large I have had good experience with pdf files for conveying page
images of documents to others, putting on web page and the like. Good
fidelity to the original. Simplicity--just print to a pdf. and great for
cross platform disribution.

I generally view in acrobat application or reader, to good satisfaction.

Recently I discovered some significant problems in documents that I had
prepared as pdf files when viewed in preview.

First, some annotations added to the pdf files, either text or graphics,
such as ovals to highlight something on the page, are absent when the
document is viewed in preview. I looked in the preferences and view menus
to see if there was something to turn on; didnt see said.

second, some of the graphics come out much more poorly rendered in preview.
Thin lines of line graphs which render great in acrobat come across in
preview as faint, dim, washed out, next to invisible.

anyone else aware of this? any recourse other than to get apple to do a
better job. I am using preview 2.1.1 on 10.3.9.

This seems uncharacteristic of apple.

I do recall that there was a problem with adobe acrobat and reader 6 in
rendering thin lines that was fixed in version  7.

thanks all.

-steve