[X4U] BTV Pro errors

KJS explorerguy at mac.com
Fri Dec 23 11:38:25 PST 2005

>> Well, have you tried different codec settings in BTV. How did you
>> format your harddrive? Is it HFS or HFS Extended? Are you capturing to
>> a firewire drive or is it your iMac's internal drive?
>
> This is exactly the sort of error I'd expect to see if sending a volume
> of data to a FAT32-formatted disk - I think there's a file-size limit
> of around around 6 or 7gig when copying files to one of my external
> drives (which are all FAT32). I'd guess that  many external hard-drives
> are shipped from the factory pre-formatted in FAT32, so that may be the
> filesystem if it's brand-new & he's simply plugged it in & used it?
>
> I don't do any video stuff, so I have no idea how quickly the OP is
> likely to be dumping data his hard-drive and whether my guess really
> meshes with his statement that he sees the error after "a couple of
> minutes", but I would certainly want to be testing with a different
> drive (preferably the system one) in order to isolate the "empty,
> brand-new 200GB hard drive" from the problem.
>
> Stroller.

Thanks for the thoughts, Nick and Stroller.

I've decided to exchange the XLR8 Interview for the Pyro (an upgrade), which
will provide more options for video input. Then, I'll be able to report back
if that made any difference. The new drive is formatted for HFS Extended. I
reformatted it, as soon as I tried to use it. I don't "think" that's the
problem.

I'll report back in a few days, if you are interested.

Thanks!
Jerry