[X4U] Archiving files on 10.3 - resource forks?

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Sat Dec 24 11:44:16 PST 2005

On 12/24/05, Stroller <macmonster at myrealbox.com> wrote:

> Message: 11
> Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 09:24:24 +0000
> From: Stroller <macmonster at myrealbox.com>
> Subject: [X4U] Archiving files on 10.3 - resource forks?
> To: A place to discuss Mac OS X for the casual user.
> 	<x4u at listserver.themacintoshguy.com>
>
> I know this has been covered before and that I could Google it in
> minutes.... but I'm sure it's such an easy question that someone here
> can answer it in seconds.
>
> I'm _finally_ ready to migrate my desktop machine to Tiger... what's
> the best way to back up my homedir so that all the resource-forky
> [goodness|nonesense] is retained? Does "create an archive" preserve
> them? I think this feature is added to tar only in 10.4??
> The final way I can think of is for me to make a sparse image & copy
> all files to that. Any suggestions?

This works best for me. Clone the entire volume to an ext FWHD, using Carbon
Copy Cloner, SuperDuper!, or any other app that creates a bootable backup. Boot
into the volume, ensure everything works as on the original, then upgrade the
clone using the upgrade previous version, check it out, when satisfied
nothing's amiss, clone the updated clone back to the original. Use Disk Utility
to repair the volumes and permissions throughout the endeavor. Did that
multiple times while beta-testing Tiger without any problems WRT to resource
forks.