[X4U] changing 'short' name

Linda XPressoBean at mac.com
Tue Dec 27 06:21:23 PST 2005

On 12/27/05 8:10 AM, Jan Melichar wrote:

> Is  there some way that I can change the 'short' name of my account
> and therefore the ' home' folder? A new account will not do for my
> purpose which has to do with needing to have the same path to the
> built in web server.

I know I'd seen something that does this, so a quick Google gave me:

<http://homepage.mac.com/frakes/MOSXPT/content/shortusername.html>

Lest you fear shareware, it is discussed in this article:
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macgems/2004/12/changeshortname/index.php>

and appears to be the only way, except for Apple's own instructions
<http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106824> -- which involve
creating a new user, something you specifically say you do not want to do.