[X4U] Re: Help needs help

Jim Hurley jhurley at infostations.com
Tue Dec 27 07:17:52 PST 2005

>>What it is with OS X Help? It has never worked properly for me.
>>
>>I pull down the menu to get Mac Help, and a screen comes up with a
>>question box. I type in the box and get the spinning beach ball of
>>death, never an answer.
>>
>>I click on the home icon and a window comes of with several links:
>>Check out great new features, Work smart, ....Look  up topics easily.
>>These links used to work, but not now.
>>
>>Jim
>>

>John Baltutis wrote:
>
><http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/helpviewer.html> should answer your query.

John,

Thanks for the suggestion. Lots of good stuff at that link. The
section titled "Help  viewer links do not work" looked especially
promising.

Unfortunately, I could find no file "com.apple.helpui.plist" file on
my  HD, and the link "Mac OSX: Help View Links do not respond" is
broken.

I did try  reinstalling the Help Viewer using Pacifist, but it didn't help.

I noticed that the "Help" does function as expected in Safari, i.e.
it does respond to the link. It also works in iTunes, FreeHand, etc.
However, once in these Help Viewers, I cannot get back to the finder
Help Viewer except by closing the Viewer and again selecting the
Finder Help View. Even then it fails to appear until I select the
House  icon. And then the links do not respond.

Sadly,

Jim