[X4U] Where can Services be downloaded?

Norman Cohen nacohen at mac.com
Thu Dec 29 08:55:16 PST 2005

The "conduit" is the hook that the programmer uses to access the code
available as a service. The actual functionality is something that is
left for the programmer to develop. For example, with Word Service,
the programmers at Devon Technologies <http://www.devon-
technologies.com/products/freeware/services.php> wrote a bunch of
code to do all the formatting and other tasks available. By using the
Apple defined methods, they are able to advertise these services to
other programs that support services. There are a number of services
provided by Apple (e.g. Grab) that can be thought of as being "under
the hood" since everyone gets them as part of OS X, but those
programs are using the same service conduit as Devon and Omni and
others have used to advertise their services.

Norm
---
Norman A. Cohen
nacohen at mac.com

"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not
certain; and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality."
Albert Einstein