[X4U] Re: audio line-in & microphone

Graeme Hiebert dweebert at shaw.ca
Fri Dec 30 20:49:03 PST 2005

On 30-Dec-2005, at 08:10 , Sean Collins wrote:

> If you're handy w/a soldering iron, you can build a universal
> microphone adapter to work around the power requirement.  Cheap and
> effective:
>
> http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/audio/plaintalk_mic_conversion/
> plaintalk_mic_conversion.html
>
> This is essentially what Griffin used to sell as the "NE Mic"
> adapter for $20.
>
> http://www.griffintechnology.com/archive/audio/mic_main.html

I didn't think that newer Macs (say G4 and up) had PlainTalk
connectors.  I thought that a separate power source was *required*
for those.

Hmm, I have an NE Mic in the bottom of a box around here, and my
soldering iron is getting a bit bored.  I wonder how much power
PlainTalk supplies... Is the right voltage available from a USB
port?  (If not, a recent iPod purchase has rendered some rechargeable
batteries less useful...)

    -g