[X4U] Macs & photography mailing list?

Thomas Noel tnoel at mac.com
Sat Dec 31 16:24:36 PST 2005

I have followed your contributions here and elsewhere for years. Nice
to give back a little.

The current version of iPhoto is a good starter program for both
organization and minor editing, and is tightly integrated with the
other Mac OS features, as I am sure you are aware. I import all
photos into iPhoto first just for the ease of use to quickly post to
web or email Like all the choices for organization, the value of the
program depends on the user's willingness to add proper metadata to
the images. The Smart Album feature is very useful IF YOU TAG!.
iPhoto does have a practical limit of how many images can be in one
collection and still remain responsive. "iPhoto Library Manager"
allows the use of multiple Libraries to avoid this problem.

The next step up for many is "iView Media Pro" or "Extensis
Portfolio". I don't use either.

Apple's new ProApp "Aperture" is specifically targeted as a workflow
enhancer.  Intended to be a light table for initial sorting of
keepers vs chaff, as well as cropping,  rotation,  tagging, editing,
etc. I'm just breaking the surface with this app myself. There is a
list for Aperture: groups.yahoo.com/group/aperture.

If you are using or intend to use Photoshop CS2, please explore the
functions of the "Bridge" utility for organizing and tagging your
images. It is right there anyway, and may be all that you need for
light table functions.

Explore the NAPP website (National Assoc. of Photoshop
Professionals). Membership gets access to much useful info and many
retail discount deals. Discounts alone will pay for the membership,
especially if you need printing supplies or services.

See you on the lists...

Tom