[X4U] Need Finder help

Keith Whaley keith_w at dslextreme.com
Tue Feb 1 10:05:48 PST 2005

Birgit Rhoads wrote:

> You can use the Apple discussion board.  You can read only or put in
> your apple ID/Password to read and write.

What "apple ID/Password?" Is the basic one I use to set permissions on
my computer? Or some other?

> Did you try to index your Users?  That would be the the most important
> to index.

Yes, it would. See below...

> Birgit

> On Jan 21, 2005, at 11:32 AM, Mark Des Cotes wrote:
>
>>> I went to my built-in Mac Help and it says to do what I described
>>> above, so that's no help.
>>> The Macintosh website itself is worthless unless you subscribe to
>>> their service, so that's out, too.

Gee, I thought that was what *I* wrote!
However, I'm not trying to protect copyrights here!  <smile>

Without knowing any better, I selected my Hard Drive, and in Get Info
tried to Index the entire thing. That was when I suspected something was
wrong.

I've since talked to Randy Singer, co-author of the Macintosh Bible, and
he pointed out to me how there are basically only a few items I really
need to Index, not the entire hard drive.
When I cut down the task, Indexing took over just fine.
The Indexing feature in Jaguar works pretty automatically, so he told
me, and I wasn't aware of that, either...
A lot of the stull (folders etc) I tried to index showed they had just
been indexed yesterday or the day before!
I never knew that, either!

Anyhow, problem turned out to be no problem at all. All I needed was a
little education. I had never taken any classes in Jaguar! Shame on me!  <g>

Thanks for the words...

keith whaley