[X4U] Need Finder help

Jon Warms jwarms at mac.com
Tue Feb 1 10:24:40 PST 2005

On  Fri, 21 Jan 2005 09:30:00 -0800,
Keith Whaley <keith_w at dslextreme.com> wrote:

> I want to index my HD, in order to make the Finder/Find feature as
> effective as possible. I figured Hard Drive "indexing" was the
> appropriate action to take. After I select Finder/File/Get
> Info/Content Index/Index Now... the Index Now button fades out, like
> it's going to do something, but it just blinks, and goes right back to
> the Content Index window. Nothing happens.

Possible answer: you haven't told the finder what languages to index.

Finder>Preferences>Advanced>"Languages for searching file contents."

You gotta have at least one selected to build a contents index.

(But some people have no languages selected because they find the
index-updating to be too disk and processor intensive. Of course, this
won't apply if you pick the right time - for you - to let the finder
update
its index.)

Jon