[X4U] Need Finder help

Keith Whaley keith_w at dslextreme.com
Tue Feb 1 10:33:09 PST 2005

John Baltutis wrote:

> On 01/21/05, Keith Whaley <keith_w at dslextreme.com> wrote:
>
>>I have a MDD PowerMac G4/OS 10.2.8/over Gig of RAM/80 Gb HD.
>>
>>I want to index my HD, in order to make the Finder/Find feature as
>>effective as possible. I figured Hard Drive "indexing" was the
>>appropriate action to take. After I select Finder/File/Get Info/Content
>>Index/Index Now... the Index Now button fades out, like it's going to do
>>something, but it just blinks, and goes right back to the Content Index
>>window. Nothing happens.
>>
>>I went to my built-in Mac Help and it says to do what I described above,
>>so that's no help.
>>
>>The Macintosh website itself is worthless unless you subscribe to their
>>service, so that's out, too.

> Which Macintosh website is that which you find worthless and requires a
> subscription?

MacFixIt®.
I may have unintentionally mislead you, but to me it's a Mac website,
altho' not an _Apple_ Mac website.
To elaborate on my "worthless" appellation, I meant that when I find a
subject of interest, the site more or less glosses over a relatively
simple explanation, and in order to go deeper into it, to get a complete
answer, you have to subscribe to MacFixIt Pro.
You probably CAN get your answer there, but it's gonna cost you!

> Apple's Knowledge Base is free. A quick search at
> <http://search.info.apple.com/> for "indexing" yielded this:
> <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=24976>, among other things.

Thank you for that (Apple's Knowledge Base.) I had apparently forgotten
about that site. It's a good one.

> BTW, the index consists of two invisible files located at your drive's root
> level: .FBCIndex and
> .FBCLockFolder. One or both of those might be corrupted. Delete them and
> repeat the Index Now command.

Another good piece of information.
Thanks for all the help...

keith whaley