[X4U] Compatibility Issue

Stroller MacMonster at myrealbox.com
Tue Feb 1 10:40:38 PST 2005

On Jan 22, 2005, at 4:35 am, Johns Maillist wrote:

> Anyone know where I can find out if a Pioneer DVR-109 DVD burner is on
> the X list?

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/ would be the usual place. Look under
"Database", "Drive compatibility".

> It is a Dual layer, 16X DVD burner, and was on Dealmac today, and the
> deal seem pretty good, I just want to know that it will work in my
> mirror door G4 (1.25).

I have one of these drives, and although I haven't tested it
extensively it seems to work. I have it in an external firewire case,
and after a recent 10.3.x update it started to play DVDs. If I open
iDVD without it plugged in I get an alert saying "Your Macintosh does
not have a supported superdrive", but not when the Pioneer is
connected.

I bought this drive on the basis that previous Pioneers were recognised
as "Apple shipped / supported" (indeed mine now shows up that way in
System Profiler) and it is firmly my belief that a Mac will mistake it
for a factory-installed SuperDrive.

Stroller.