[X4U] Network file sharing - Microsoft XP home addition

Hector Luna polonius19 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 13:29:14 PST 2005

I use XP Pro at home, so this may be of little use to you. I do not
attempt to connect to shares on the XP box at all. I've configured my
OS X box to enable Windows sharing (it's really Samba). I map a share
from the XP box to the OS X box. No problems.

There was one thing I remember having to do, but I don't remember if
it was to connect to XP from elsewhere or vice versa, but I had to
modify this setting to get LAN share access on a home Windows network
for a client. Under Local Security Settings>Local Policies>Security
Options>Local Security Setting>Network Access:Sharing and security
model for local accounts I had to change it from the default of "Guest
only" to "Classic." It worked after that. See if you can find that
setting.

Like I said, this might not work in the hamstrung XP Home edition.
Best of luck...

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 15:14:39 -0600, Nick Scalise <nickscalise at mac.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, February 01, 2005, at 11:34AM, revDAVE <coolcat at hostalive.com> wrote:
>
> > Currently, I AM ABLE to do network file sharing from Panther 10.3.5 to  my
> >Windows 2000 PC.
> >
> >However, currently I am UNABLE to do network file sharing to my friends
> >Windows XP home laptop. I tried all the usual network settings - but had no
> >luck with XP Home.
> >
> >Question: is there any way to get this working?
>
> Pretty sure XP Home does not have very good networking, if any (other than internet access).
>
> That is why everyone says that to really compare Windows to Mac OS X you need XP Pro.
>
> --
> Nick Scalise
> nickscalise at mac.com

Polonius19