[X4U] Re: surge protection/ knob and tube

George Harvey gwil3 at charter.net
Wed Feb 2 11:58:40 PST 2005

I had a similar situation. I ran wiring in a new galvanized conduit on
the outside of the house directly to the wall next to the computer.
Directly inside, next to the terminating connection box I installed a
heavy duty wall plug. I drove a 9-foot grounding rod into the ground
just below, and ran a big 8-gage copper wire from this to the grounding
connection on the wall plug. All inside computer and UPS components are
grounded to this. This setup has protected against surges and
lightning-induced voltages for several years.

George Harvey