[X4U] Re: Weird hard drive Copy Issue

George Harvey gwil3 at charter.net
Thu Feb 3 23:04:07 PST 2005

I am definitely unhappy with my update to 10.3.7, and wish that I had
stayed with 10.3.6 on my main drive. After I updated, and installed the
latest security update, I found that startup was very slow, and that
MacChampion had timed out. Then I found that all connections to the
Internet were very slow also, and that it took about ten times as long
to start Mail or a browser as before. Each new connection to a web page
took a long time in most cases except for web sites that stayed
connected and did not ask for a return signal. Other applications were
slow to start up even though they did not contact the internet.
However, the 4 FireWire drives that I left connected work perfectly,
and seem a tad faster than before the update. I have tried everything I
could think of to eliminate the slow operation, including most of the
suggestions on the Web. Some things are considerably faster than before
the update, for example RagTime, Tex-Edit Plus, Mariner Write and Adobe
Reader 7 are much snappier, folders open faster, Find works faster. My
system seems to be rodk-solid and working properly except for the
slowness.

I am using a 1.8 GHZ G5 with 1GB RAM. I updated all 3 of my FireWire
hard drives (Granite Digital 120 GB, LaCie 120 GB, LaCie 250GB), and I
can boot up on all of them, and absolutely no problem there. They have
always worked fine from the very first installation. When I need to
look up a lot of stuff on the Internet, I use a FireWire drive running
10.3.6 in order to greatly speed up my work. I have a lot of work to
do, and not much time to spend on maintenance so I can not try every
thing possible to find and try to fix slowdown problems. I began using
Macs a long time ago because I could get more done in a day than with
my Windows PC, I had less trouble with spam, and installing or updating
  software took so little time.

I would welcome any suggestions about eliminating the slow startup.

George Harvey