[X4U] iWork: Pages

Peter Payne peter2 at jlist.com
Fri Feb 4 22:58:07 PST 2005

>Has anyone gotten iWork and been playing with "Pages" yet?  I tried
>it out on a Mac Mini at the local Apple Store today.  It looks quite
>interesting, and I'm actually wondering if it wouldn't work better
>for me than MS Word.  Basically I need a good simple Word Processor
>for writing and setting up fonts on documents that are then sucked
>into Adobe Indesign CS.  I found the way they handle fonts in
>"Pages" to be interesting, specifically how they let you set
>favorites.

I am happy with Pages and have moved over to it without incident.
Much better than Appleworks. Smoothly imports DOC files without any
major hiccups, but some reformatting is needed, things like tabs
usually. Happily, the menus work in Japanese if you have the system
language set that way (great for my Japanese staff members who use
the program). The only downsides are that the file format isn't
"native" DOC (this would probably anger M$ too much), so that you
never know how stuff will look when you output it for a client. Also,
its footprint is quite large for what it does, but then so is iPhoto.
For people who need a word processor, it's great. For people like
translators who need to be making documents and giving them to
clients in a standard form, it might be less good.
--
J-LIST http://www.jlist.com

Interested in my life in Japan? See the Peter Payne homepage at
http://www.peterpayne.net/