[X4U] help with ilife 05 insstall

Allan Hise allan at hise.org
Wed Feb 9 01:33:52 PST 2005

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005, Kansas Territory wrote:

> >> I'm trying to figure out what the heck is taking up 8GB in the first
> >> place ?
> >> my iTunes library is stored on an external Firewire drive.
> >> Also, my iPhoto library is stored on an external Firewire drive.
> >>
> >> I've gone thought my files etc in my home directory.   It's not like
> >> i got much going on in that directory. any suggestions where I might
> >> could look ?  figure out what's takin' up so much room?

you can use 'du -h' in the Terminal to find out the disk space used by
each directory. This can help you track down the files. (it will examine
all subdirectories as well, so running it from your home directlry or from
the OS X partition root directory can give a lot of data).

What about caches (web browser, etc.), log files, your mail file?
Have you run the daily/weekly/monthly maintanence scripts lately (or has
the computer been awake to run them on their own)?

Allan