[X4U] Problem with F9 key in Mac OS 10.3.7

Elaine Firestone elaine at pop200.gsfc.nasa.gov
Wed Feb 9 07:19:13 PST 2005

Hello,

I'm new list member and although I've used Macs for many years, I'm
seriously stuck here and hope one of you nice folks can either help
me or tell me where to go to find out the answer.

Background: I'm on a Mac G4 running OS 10.3.7. In this version of the
OS, when you press the F9 key, the background of the desktop gets
very dark, and at the same time, miniaturized versions of each window
open is displayed. (Apparently a shortcut so you can find a hidden
window.)

I found this out while working in Word X (Service Release 1) on a
document created on a PC in Word with an author-created table of
contents that seems to have been created automatically by Word.

Because of this new "feature" in the OS, when I go to update the TOC
(click the cursor to the left of the TOC and then press F9), instead
of going through the updating-the-TOC process, the tiny window
process happens. Anyone know how to get the TOC in Word to update
under these circumstances?

I went on Apple's Web site to no avail, and Word's "Help" was no help
(big surprise). I'll be sending this query to the "word-mac" list
also, so forgive any duplicate postings.

Help?

Elaine

Elaine R. Firestone, ELS
Sr. Technical Editor/Writer
NASA GSFC/Infonetic
Code 293, Technical Information Services Branch
Bldg 18, Rm 280
Greenbelt, MD 20771

Phone:	301-286-9004 	Fax: 301-286-1705
E-mail: elaine at pop200.gsfc.nasa.gov