[X4U] Video Editing DVD help

Nick Scalise nickscalise at mac.com
Wed Feb 9 07:49:49 PST 2005

On Wednesday, February 09, 2005, at 06:15AM, aashram <amar at aashram.com> wrote:

>I have dvds of family events that I want to redit.
>I want to use iMovie. What is the best way to get the footage off the DVD into iMovie to Redit
>Ideally I do want to loose much quality.

I like using the combination of MPEG StreamClip and Apple's MPEG2 component for QuickTime.

Apple's MPEG2 component gives MPEG StreamClip access to MPEG2 decoding. Then MPEG StreamClip will convert your DVD to DV.

MPEG StreamClip: Free
<http://www.alfanet.it/squared5/mpegstreamclip.html>

QuickTime 6 MPEG-2 Playback Component: $20
<http://www.apple.com/quicktime/products/mpeg2playback/>

However, no matter how you convert, the footage you re-import to iMovie will never be as good as the original DV, as it has been compressed.

--
Nick Scalise
nickscalise at mac.com