[X4U] FSCK

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Thu Feb 10 17:45:19 PST 2005

Clinton Medbery III said:

>I used to do this regularly, but I think the people I most respect are
>saying don't do it anymore since journaling is present.

When Apple first introduced journaling as the default with OS X 10.3,
their tech notes made it sound as if running FSCK was a bad idea.  Even I
was concerned about this.  (In fact my routine maintenance Web site still
talks about this, I haven't updated it yet.)

But, finally, Apple clarified things.  You can still run FSCK, even with
journalling enabled.

>Repairing a journaled volume
>
>You can check and repair a journaled volume using fsck_hfs from the
>command line. To repair a journaled disk:
>
>      1. Log in as an Admin user to the server whose disk you want to set
>up for journaling.
>      2. Make sure that no one is using the server.
>      3. Open Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/).
>      4. Execute the fsck_hfs command using the -f flag. For example, to
>force checking a journaled volume on device /dev/disk0s11, execute:
>
>      fsck_hfs -f /dev/disk0s11

Randy B. Singer

http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html