[X4U] ATI 7000 vs. Jaguar

Marc Stergionis stermarc at mac.com
Sat Feb 12 10:30:50 PST 2005

I am running an ATI Radeon 7000 Mac in an 8600 with a Sonnet G4
upgrade and OS 10.2.8.

The OS seems to think that I have two monitors running because I get
no icons, dock, or menubar in OSX when the monitor is plugged into
the ATI card. The mouse goes only to the edge of the screen on the
top, bottom and right, but the mouse goes way beyond the left of the
screen. So it seems as if the OS thinks the main screen is past the
left edge of the monitor, ie. not visible to me.

If I plug the monitor into the 8600 onboard video port, it displays
correctly. When I started in OS9 running off the ATI card, it had a
similar problem, but I was able to get into monitor Control Panel and
set it to a single monitor.

I tried running Jaguar with the monitor plugged into the onboard
video (which also displays correctly), but I can't find anywhere in
the ATI Preference Pane or the Displays Preference Pane to make the
OS use the single monitor as the main screen.

The ATI is running off the latest November 04 drivers, which is a
10.2.8-specific driver. And when the monitor's plugged into the
Radeon 7000, the ATI driver even generates its own default desktop
photo (a neat mountain/lake scene) and screensaver, not my default
settings. It's just that I get no desktop and can't do anything under
OSX when using the Radeon. (Even tried command-O to open the default
volume and try to navigate to a control panel, but that too must
appear -- if it *is* appearing -- off the left of the screen, because
nothing is visible except the desktop photo.

Anyone know how to force the desktop to display?
--
Marc Stergionis -- Community Relations & website author
Benefis Healthcare -- <http://www.benefis.org>