[X4U] "Who makes the best personal computers?" vote at Forbes

Ted Burton egburton at cableone.net
Sat Feb 12 11:33:47 PST 2005

At 8:35 AM +0100 on 2/12/05, Paul Moortgat spoke about Re: [X4U] "Who
makes the best personal computers?" vote at  thusly:

>IBM named their computers "PC", but computers where around then for
>a longer time.  It's like telling people you've the first LADA, but
>before that time, there where other cars.  A PC is a computer, but a
>computer is not a PC.

Yet "PC" was everyone's contraction of personal computer, and the
Apple II was surely a personal computer. It was after the Mac that I
began to hear PC mean an MS-DOS machine.  I remember the M$ camp
denouncing the Mac as a toy because it had a graphical user
interface, and it was scorned in their marketing as a game machine,
not a serious computer. Then comes Windows "innovation" and suddenly
GUI was not a toy and gaming was best on the PC ....  The true genius
of Microsoft lies in marketing, not in software.

I bought M$ stock when it first went public; likewise Apple. And
those two investments saved the family from bankruptcy when the
Alaska economy tanked in 1986-87 and all our other investments turned
into losses.