[X4U] Acrobat Annoyances - Multiple "open with" entries.

Vince Lewis vplewis at mac.com
Mon Feb 14 07:07:40 PST 2005

On Feb 14, 2005, at 12:45 AM, Stroller wrote:

> On Feb 14, 2005, at 3:31 am, Stroller wrote:
>
>> On both my Macs when I right-click on a PDF and go to the "open with"
>> section I get multiple entries for Adobe's Acrobat apps, as shown in
>> <http://mac.stroller.uk.eu.org/PDF%20Problem.png>.
>>
>> Is it just me that gets this, or have other list members experienced
>> it, too?
>
> Great! Thanks for the responses!
> Now for what I should have asked in the first place - does anyone know
> how to fix this, please?
>
> To cover the Acrobat critique - I personally have pdfs set to open in
> Preview by default, and have no problems with Preview for that. But I
> have Adobe's Creative Suite, and I find that I use Acrobat when I want
> to print a letter with a colour "headed paper" - I print to PDF in
> Word, open in Acrobat, and add the pdf of the headed paper as a
> "watermark" before printing it. I seem to recall that when I
> originally set up this workflow I couldn't get the headed paper's
> image into the Word document itself at a high enough quality for me to
> be happy with it.
>
> Stroller.

No need to fix it, it's the correct behavior. As I understand it, each
app registers with the OS all file types it can handle, and then "Get
Info" on any file will show a list similar to this--though many files
only register to their primary apps. The more generic the file type,
the more apps listed.
ciao,
Vince