[X4U] Attaching A Router To Router

revDAVE coolcat at hostalive.com
Mon Feb 14 09:12:08 PST 2005

On 2/14/05 12:53 AM, "Allan Hise" <allan at hise.org> wrote:

> Yes, this is possible. I would try just using a switch (or, less
> desirably, a hub) first, especially if the network uses DHCP (and the IT
> guys allow the 2nd MAC address on the network). That would make things
> much simpler, and cheaper.

 thank you Alan.  Supposedly - this friend already bought a switch and tried
to set up for 1  hour unsuccessfully... Can you provide a few tricks that I
can relay to him...?

> Otherwise, just setup the router to use NAT and the 1st router will see
> the two machines as having the same IP address. Of course, this is easier
> said than done and implementation depends on the router. And depending on
> how the network is set up, you may end up with NAT upon NAT... (it works,
> but can be ugly).

 can you tell me what NAT is... And how to implement it? (  enough at least
to get me started...)

 thanks for your help

> So, there are a lot of variables. Seriously, see if you can go the
> switch/hub route first. Is there some reason he can't ask the IT folks in
> his large office?

-  he has been unsuccessful getting through to them at this point

--
Thanks - RevDave
CoolCat at hostalive.com
[db-lists]