[X4U] Attaching A Router To Router

Matthew Barr mbarr at mbarr.net
Mon Feb 14 12:31:40 PST 2005

Y'all- the only thing to consider is that low end hubs/switches -
Almost all hubs now are switches - have dedicated uplink ports instead
of being auto-sensing.  What this means, in short, is there may be 5
jacks on the switch, one of which says uplink.  The upstream line needs
to be plugged into that jack, and the other machines into the other
jacks.  However, the low end ones need to have the one directly next to
the uplink left empty- it's an either/ or situation.

I'm not explaining this particularly well.. but it will help you friend.

The terms to google for are uplink, crossover, and ethernet.
Basically, the uplink jack has the recieve & transmit lines crossed, so
that it is able to connect to another hub/switch.  Some of the newer
switches can detect either, and will work with both.  Most new macs, in
fact, can connect with either type of cable, and will switch themselves
to the correct options.

Matthew Barr
Managing Partner
Datalyte Consulting, LLC