[X4U] Stopping incoming calls cutting you off during dialup

Brett Conlon brett_conlon at sonymusic.com.au
Mon Feb 14 16:30:19 PST 2005

Thanks Peter, Nick, Jon and Mr Glass.

I vaguely rememeber entering a value of #20 in a field that was supposed
to disable call waiting. This may be the value for us locally in Oz. I'll
add it to the phone number. I'll also take a look at the below
suggestions. Remembering that I'm dialing up from the Airport the options
are slightly different in there than in the Network Preferences.

I'll let you all know what fixes it when I find a solution. Somehow I
don't think my luck will extend to the possibility of being able to
actually answer the incoming call then get back to surfing.... though
that'd be ideal.

Cheers,

Coj

peter <peterstj at earthlink.net>

On Feb 14, 2005, at 12:12 AM, Brett Conlon wrote:

> How does one stop incoming calls from disconnecting your dialup
> session when you have call waiting turned on on your phone line -
> other than constantly turning off then back on call waiting? ...
>
>  Could it perhaps be something with the new ISP's line or could it be
> how I've set up the airport?

                 You're right, twice.            There is a check box. And
it does have to do
with your new ISP.

                 I'm having the opposite problem.  I want my ISP to offer
this service
and they don't.  I'd try yours but we're evidently on different
continents.

                 The checkbox is hard to find.  Open system preferences.
Click on
network. This should give you a list of networks (Internal modem,
airport, etc)

                 Click on the list item Internal Modem.  This should give
you a screen
that includes a bar divided into PPP, TCP/IP, Proxies, and Modem.

                 Click on Modem.  This should give you a screen that has a
checkbox
about two-thirds way down the page that says "Connection notify me of
incoming calls while connected to the internet."  Uncheck this box or
chose one of the options below it.

                 As I understand it, the service that your ISP offers is
called "Modem
on Hold."  Supposedly, you should be able to interrupt your internet
session, answer the call, then go back on-line without having to hang
up your internet connection.  I have never done this, but that's the
way the theory is explained.  You might ask your ISP how it works.  It
could be a good deal.

Peter