[X4U] Re: Linux on Virtual PC

Xavier Noria fxn at hashref.com
Wed Feb 16 02:53:05 PST 2005

On Feb 15, 2005, at 18:40, Xavier Noria wrote:

> On Feb 15, 2005, at 9:44, Xavier Noria wrote:
>
>> Anyone got some Linux running on Virtual PC 7?
>
> I finally tried a Debian Woody and by now everything is going fine. I
> did a minimal installation. The network was detected out of the box
> and right now apt-get is updating packages to upgrade the distribution
> to unstable. Next step will be to try to get X working, but even if it
> does not it's enough for what I wanted.

Heh, victory!!!

     http://www.hashref.com/img/debian_blackbox_virtual_pc_7.png

The basic steps were

     1. install Debian (I dist-upgraded to unstable)
     2. install xserver-xfree86
     3. install x-window-system-core
     4. choose the S3 graphical chipset
     5. choose the "macintosh" keyboard type
     6. choose "/dev/psaux" as mouse device
     7. choose "ImPS/2" as mouse type

I don't know whether that's minimal since some trial and error was done
until it worked. I think it is enough to install xfree86-common instead
of 2 and 3 for instance. Also I need to work out some minor details
yet, as keyboard layout.

The great news are that since Virtual PC abstracts the guest OS from
some host hardware stuff, the touchpad of the PowerBook works out of
the box (including SideTrack's scrolling), Apple bluetooth keyboard and
mouse work like a charm, Ctrl-click works as right-click just fine,
nothing needs to be done to switch between Ethernet and wifi, it works
out of the box, etc. Impressive!

-- fxn