[X4U] Linux on Virtual PC

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Wed Feb 16 10:04:08 PST 2005

> Crazy OS menagerie! But just for my own knowledge why not install Linux
> directly on your Mac instead of through VPC and use VPC whenever you need
> Win?

Some Linux apps are x86 specific.  The main app I use Linux for is largely
written in x86 assembly language.  Not something you can easily port to PPC
Linux.

Overall, software written for Linux tend to work best on x86 Linux rather
than something like PPC/MIPS/Alpha Linux, and the often can't easily be
ported to another Unix varient.  Which isn't to say that there isn't a*lot*
of software on Linux that can be, especially the really popular applications

		Zane