[X4U] iSight Camera And Other FireWire Devices

Mark Gibson gibsonm at bigpond.net.au
Fri Feb 18 12:46:59 PST 2005

At 15:30 -0500 18/2/05, phlbrck wrote:
>Mark Gibson wrote
>
>  > I recovered the data and always use a powered FireWire hub with
>my iSight if I ever want to use
>  > another FireWire device on my PowerBook's single port.
>
>If you daisy chain from an external burner with its own power block
>(which is always on) is that considered a powered hub in the context
>of above quote?
>
>Ken Philbrick

Ken,

Don't know.

Given that the problem seems to be that the iSight does not
discriminate from where it draws the additional power, in my case the
external drive's power supply rather than the PowerBook, it might
work.

However I have no idea what losing power (and perhaps a "spike" when
it came back) would do to the external burner (esp. if it was "mid
burn"). Rather than risk it, I just always use my Belkin powered hub.

I guess it depends how risk averse you are but I've been burnt once
with a drive and it cost a fair few $ to get the data back.
--

Regards,

Mark (}-:
+61 (0)4 1927 7198
Skype / AIM / iChat: gibsonm1

Money isn't everything, but it keeps the kids in touch...