[X4U] airport wireless - just double checking

Mark Gibson gibsonm at bigpond.net.au
Tue Feb 22 11:53:46 PST 2005

At 11:12 -0800 22/2/05, revDAVE wrote:
>  I'm sure the answer must be yes to this - however before I tell a friend -
>I like to double check that once set up correctly - any computer with the
>proper wireless connection and settings ( on both the  computer and the
>airport) can send and receive from the airport wireless base. -  this would
>include both Mac and PC -  correct?
>

>--
>Thanks - RevDave
>CoolCat at hostalive.com
>[db-lists]

Yes, that is right.

However, "once set up correctly - any computer with the proper
wireless connection and settings ( on both the  computer and the
airport) can send and receive from the airport wireless base" covers
a few issues.

But basically if the computer (Mac or PC) has an 802.11b or g
capability (Airport, Airport Extreme or Centrino) and you have setup
the Airport Extreme to support both and you have set all the
networking etc up properly then it will support either PC or Mac.

Things to look out for:

If the PC is older and uses a 802.11a you have a problem as this is
not supported by Airport.

If the PC is running Win 98 or earlier you are at the mercy of the PC
software that came with the wireless card. Win 2000 and XP have built
in drivers that do work though.
--

Regards,

Mark (}-:
+61 (0)4 1927 7198
Skype / AIM / iChat: gibsonm1

Question Authority.  They usually know where the bathroom is.
                                               --MTV's Daria