[X4U] Scanning Negatives

George Harvey gwil3 at charter.net
Tue Feb 22 19:06:00 PST 2005

A compromise between the ideal scanner and a cheaper one is the Epson
Perfection 2450 flatbed scanner and its more recent relatives. I have
found it to be practical for hundreds of colo,r or black and white
negatives. However it would not be suitable for commercial work because
the negatives must be placed by hand in a carrier with a capacity of 12
frames. The operation is not time-consuming because the software
supplied automatically recognizes each frame and numbers it. The
resolution is very good. I have produced full-screen colore pictures
from a 35mm negative that look very good. The scanner came with
carriers for other sizes of negatives that I sometime use. The 2450 has
both FireWire and USB connections but I use the FireWire exclusively. I
paid only about $400 for this scanner, and it has given no trouble.

George Harvey