[X4U] en0 loses connectivity after reboot?

Jeff Winchester jeffw at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Feb 22 20:34:12 PST 2005

I've recently started to have a couple of rather odd problems,
primarily with my wired ethernet (en0) connection.

The primary problem occurs after a reboot. Once I have logged back in,
I basically end up with an "amber dot" in network preferences for my
wired ethernet. It's connected to the LAN but hasn't gotten an IP and
can't get anywhere. The only way I can restore connectivity is to go to
the network port configurations, remove the built-in ethernet, apply,
then re-add and apply again.

I'm running Panther with all recent updates applied, including today's
security update. I'm on a PowerBook G4 1.25GHz. The problem has been
occurring for probably about a month now.

Odder yet is a second problem that is plaguing both en0 and en1
(AirPort). I typically use DHCP with manual address in order for port
forwarding from my router to work consistently. This past Wednesday I
noticed that I was connected, could ping, had DNS resolution, but was
actually unable to get outside the firewall. Browser connections just
hung trying to connect, same with all traffic. The only way I could
solve this was to set my system back to full DHCP. Same configuration
as above.

Has anybody seen either of these oddities? Neither is a show-stopper
kind of thing, as I can work around them both with a slight bit of
hassle, but they do annoy me a bit.

--
Jeff Winchester
jeffw at tampabay.rr.com