[X4U] new ipods

Nick Scalise nickscalise at mac.com
Wed Feb 23 08:46:56 PST 2005

On Wednesday, February 23, 2005, at 10:21AM, Jim Freeman <jpfreeman at mac.com> wrote:

>This is ironic. Apple seems to have made the same business decision
>that many companies make: why support the Mac when most of your
>customers use PCs?
>
>On 23-Feb-05, at 9:05 AM, Peter Krug wrote:
>
>> I guess those of us with older machines that do not have USB 2.0 have
>> to shell out extra for the Firewire cable.  Even on the 30 and 60 GB
>> iPods.  Wow.  What's next, taking FW400 off new Macs?  <sigh>

Accept Apple does support the Mac.

All currently shipping Macs have USB 2.0. If you need a legacy connector, it's relatively cheap. Other companies that do not support the Mac, do not have a cheap connector for legacy Macs.

Can you spend an extra $20 for the Dell DJ and get it to work with your old Mac?  Heck, can you spend and extra $20 and even get it to work with your new Mac?

I believe Apple is making reasonable decisions. Get the price down to the cheapest possible, provide legacy users an inexpensive add-on so it will work with their older stuff.

--
Nick Scalise
nickscalise at mac.com