[X4U] OSX Server Permissions help

Brett Conlon brett_conlon at sonymusic.com.au
Thu Feb 24 22:35:59 PST 2005

Hi all,

I'm moving our OS9 AppleShare IP Server over to OSX Server. I'm mostly
there but have run into an issue.

I have created all my user and group accounts and I've set up share points
with relevant group access to the parent partitions but there are specific
folders within each volume that require different permissions.

For example, I have a "Base Arts" folder (that houses all our templates)
and the group CREATIVE has read only permissions but the BASE ARTS EDITORS
group needs read/write access.

When I'm inside Workgroup Manager do I set the group to BASE ARTS EDITORS
with read/write permissions then leave Others to Read Only or is there a
more appropriate way?

Also, if I was to set this parent folder called "Base Arts" to Group: BASE
ARTS EDITORS Read/write and Others: Read Only, how on earth do I set the
enclosed items to be the same? There is a "copy" button next to "Copy
these privileges to enclosed items" but it is greyed out. The only other
way I have been able to adjust permissions on sub folders so far was to
get Info on the "Base Arts" folder in the Finder and set them there,
clicking the "Apply to Enclosed Items" button. Unfortunately, the group
name doesn't get copied but the privilege of Read/Write does.

I'm concerned I'm gunna mess it up doing it this way but I have to be able
to change privileges to enclosed items otherwise the editors are not going
to have read/write access to the folders they need, right?

Further to this I just discovered that our partition called "DESIGN FILE
SHARING" (where we do all of our shared work) is set to Group: CREATIVE,
read/write (as it was set in Workgroup Manager) but all the sub folders
are group: unknown , Read Only. There are hundreds of files/folders in
this volume that I need to be able to change all together to the right
setting.

I'm sure I'm going about this the wrong way. Until now this way has worked
for me under OS9's AppleShare IP server setup.

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,

Cojcolds