[X4U] Re:Mail problem

Michel Treisman treisman at psy.ox.ac.uk
Sat Feb 26 15:11:54 PST 2005

Hi,
I have a problem with Mail.app misclassifying junk and not junk.  I get
email alerts, which I want to go into my Inbox. I have regularly
classified them as 'Not Junk', but half the time, Mail  puts them in
the junk-mail box.
This happens even though Mail  classifies them as ‘not junk’.
I have tried putting the source address in my address book, and I have
created a Rule to put mail with the alerts source address in my
inbox.  But the mail still ends up in the junk-mail box.

At this point I thought the preferences might be corrupted,  I should
try trashing the preference  com.apple.mail.plist.

So I removed com.apple.mail.plist from User/Library/Preferences. Next
time Mail started up I re-entered all my preferences into
Mail/Preferences, just as they had been before. This worked fine for
two POP accounts I have, but not for my IMAP account. I can no longer
read email sent to that account.

What seems to happen is that trashing the preferences and re-entering
them  seems to create a new folder in User/Library/Mail    called
IMAP-(my name)@(server). This sits side by side with the old folder
that is already there, also called IMAP-(my name)@(server) which has
all my old mail in it.

Emails I send to myself at the IMAP account now seem to go to the Inbox
in the old folder, but Mail.app (I’m guessing) looks for mail in the
Inbox in the new IMAP folder and doesn’t find any.
I removed the new folder called IMAP-(my name)@(server), and restored
com.apple.mail.plist from backup. So now I get my mail again,  but I
still have the problem of the email alerts getting misclassified.
Any suggestions?

Mike