[X4U] OSX Server Permissions help

Brett Conlon brett_conlon at sonymusic.com.au
Sun Feb 27 18:16:40 PST 2005

Hiya,

Thanks for the response.

Under OS9 I had set the Base Arts folder to:

Owner: BASE ARTS (group) with read/write
Group: CREATIVE with read only
Others: None

However under OSX Server I'm unable to save the BASEARTS group in
Workgroup Manager as the owner because it says it doesn't recognise the
user - I guess coz it's a Group not a User! This makes sense as in the
Finder I don't have the base arts group to select from in the Owner
pull-down menu either.

This is why I suggested in my email below that I was setting group to BASE
ARTS with read/write and Others to read only.

How do other achieve this task?

I'm reading some of the links you gave also, thanks.

Cheers,

Crwxolds

Stroller <MacMonster at myrealbox.com>

Don't worry - it sounds like you are going about things in pretty much
the right way.
And if you do find you can't get the permissions you want from the GUI,
it's easy enough to fix things from the terminal.

The thing that I notice from your posting is that you're setting the
permissions so that the group is BASE ARTS - to give CREATIVE read
permissions you also have to give that to everyone. If you were to make
BASE ARTS the owner, you could give CREATIVE group read permissions &
no permissions to anyone else.

A quick Google for "Unix file permissions" might be in order here
<http://tinyurl.com/6ffzd>.
Note that "execute permission on a directory means you can list the
files in that directory" <http://tinyurl.com/5b2sl> - owner/group/other
needs execute permissions on directories that they need to read from,
even if you don't want them to be able to execute the contents.

Stroller.