[X4U] Embedded images in Mail

lancew lance_wente at woolverton.com
Mon Jan 3 13:06:41 PST 2005

In the Mail program is the option to "Display images and embedded
objects in HTML messages" which I have unchecked. This prevents images
from being shown in about 95% of my emails (they display as little blue
question marks), but recently I have been getting more and more emails,
mostly from pill spammers, that are showing images inline. The
following is the image tag from one of the emails:

(open bracket)
I=MG alt=3D"" hspace=3D0
src=3D"cid:338614c4d3c0$2180fea0$954aa0c0 at NLCMYDMY" align=3Dbas=eline
border=3D0
(close bracket)

It looks like they are bypassing everything in Mail by just inserting
an '=' in the middle of words. What I want to know is how can I prevent
this from happening at all, and also is this only for embedded images
or will this trick allow the email to tell Mail to go out to some
server to grab an image, thereby tracking my email?

This isn't just happening in spam messages either. I received an email
from a legit company that had attached two pdfs to the end of their
email. One of them displayed inline and the other was just the normal
acrobat icon with a link.

Whatever happened to the days of good ol' plain text email?

Thanks,

lance