[X4U] Move this ?

Stroller MacMonster at myrealbox.com
Mon Jan 3 14:42:27 PST 2005

On Jan 3, 2005, at 4:09 am, Craig wrote:

> There's also QuickAccess, from the maker of OnMyCommand:
> http://free.abracode.com/cmworkshop/
>
> This behavior was an intrinsic ability of the BeOS.
> Too bad they bought next instead.
> They should have bought both & combined the best features...
> But this one thing is what I miss most. In BeOS it worked incredibly
> fast, like everything else in BeOS, and you could also create
> shortcuts or open Tracker (their file manager) windows anywhere you
> wanted via this contextual menu. Apple should work on this. I imagine
> there are KDE developers working on it.

This is an intrinsic ability of Windows, too (the "Sent To" contextual
item) but that doesn't mean that Apple should install Windows on its
machines.   ;)

I seem to recall reading that BeOS was a sure-thing for OS X, but that
Gassée over-priced it - this article says something similar
<http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec01/articles/cuttingedge1201.asp>.
Whilst I might be persuaded that BeOS was the better operating system -
I loved the way features of the start-bar & dock kind were implemented
- I don't think buying both would have worked. Surely they would have
used different APIs & have other incompatibilities?

In the end, the fact that such aftermarket utilities are available
illustrates that the contextual item you refer to would have been (and
still would be) trivial to add to OS neXt if Apple had wanted it, and
time has shown that Apple also gained much else from the purchase of
Next - Steve Jobs.

Stroller.