[X4U] Trouble with Stuffit Expander 9.01

B.ru c-e € K1u-tch-k0 AppleRocket at NoSpamMail.net
Sun Jan 9 22:45:20 PST 2005

On 1/10/05 1:32 AM, "Rod Duncan" <roduncan at telus.net> wrote:

>> I have the strangest problem with Stuffit Expander 9.01 on my iMac with OS X
>> 10.3.7.
>>
>> Stuffit expander takes about two minutes to start up; it expands files
>> quickly once it is running.
>> any suggestions?
>

> Once the Stuffit application FINALLY loads go under the preferences
> and uncheck the "Allow Version Checking" under the general
> preferences tab. Once that is unchecked then it will load quickly and
> normally. The version checking takes forever. Why they have done that
> is a mystery to all of us. Stunned software developers might be the
> short answer.
>
> Rod

Rod,

You da Man! This was exactly the problem. Unchecking "allow version
checking" saves 95% of the launch time. Surprising, because I have a cable
modem and it shouldn't take all that much time. Other programs do this
without delaying their startup.

I can see how this problem could drive people away from Allume products.
After all, most people wouldn't be able to count on you being able to tell
them how to fix it.

So, all I wasted was an hour or so trying all the usual fixes only to find
that the developers of Stuffit have played a real dirty trick on their
users. (Can you see the ads - "Buy Stuffit Deluxe, it loads up in 5 seconds
instead of 2 minutes!")

Thanks once again for the great help. What a weird problem, indeed.
--
B-r-u -c-e