[X4U] Re: Trouble with Stuffit Expander 9.01

Dennis R. Cohen drcohen at mac.com
Mon Jan 10 06:10:24 PST 2005

On 1/10/05 at 1:04 AM, "B.ru c-e ? K1u-tch-k0"
<AppleRocket at NoSpamMail.net> transmitted the following electronic
message:

>I have the strangest problem with Stuffit Expander 9.01 on my iMac
>with OS X 10.3.7.
>
>Stuffit expander takes about two minutes to start up; it expands files
>quickly once it is running.

The problem is in the default preference settings. It does an "Is an
update available" while launching, and it is s-l-o-w (or the Web site
is).

>So far Iπve tried:

>1. repairing permissions (no help)
No, it won't be.

>2. Downloading Stuffit once again and using the installer to remove
>Stuffit. Then I've deleted the plist files in my ~/Library/Preferences
>folder. Then reinstalled Stuffit Expander. (no help)
Just going to recreate the original condition.

>3. Tried running Stuffit Expander from a brand new user set up just to
>test this; new user had identical problem -- so it is not related to
>anything installed in my user directory.

Nope.

>I have NOT had any other problems with other programs - does anybody
>have any suggestions?

Double-click it so that it stays running rather than quitting when done
expanding a file. Go into Preferences, scroll all the way to the right
to the button about checking for updates, click it, and turn off the new
version check.

--
Dennis R. Cohen