[X4U] Recording off VCR through Camcorder [TAN]

Brett Conlon brett_conlon at sonymusic.com.au
Wed Jan 12 16:29:25 PST 2005

Hi all,

This morning I had my first opportunity to use my new camcorder (Panasonic
GS400) as a DV bridge to try and record our babie's ultrasound video to
the computer. BTW no, we're not pregnant again.... it's for our 18 month
old.  ;-D

I managed to get the VCR to play through the camera and show up in the
Capture window of Final Cut Express v1 but when I pressed the Capture Now
button I only got the black FCExp Apple screen waiting for a signal - I
guess waiting for the camera's tape to play.

How do I capture the signal being played through the camera? From memory,
about a year ago, when I was using FCPro to capture analogue footage off
my brother-in-law's 8mm Sony DV camcorder, there was a preference or a
setting to put FCPro into VTR mode or something and just capture whatever
signal was coming down the cable. I can't seem to see any such preference
in Express.

I also tried loading iMovie but it wouldn't even see the TV being played
through.

I could capture the footage onto a DV tape then play it to FCExp but I
have a lot of footage in the coming months to transfer and I'd rather not
double-handle if possible.

SIDENOTE: I also noticed that the screen being played in FCExp was delayed
about 1 second from the TV. When I do eventually capture footage there
shouldn't be a delay between audio and video, right? I ask this because
over the Chrissy break I captured footage off one of my DV camcorder tapes
and there was a 1 second or so delay between the audio and video. I ended
up having to move the audio into place to get it back into synch.... at
the time I wasn't sure if it was just a bad capture or if it was a
possible fault with my new camera.

All of this new world of video/audio is very exciting for me (I come from
a Print background) but there's so much to learn and mistakes can cost
dearly, especially if you lose footage.

Ta for your help,

Cojcolds (who is taking video in 16:9 but not sure yet how to set up a DVD
project for it)