[X4U] Re: Mac Mini!!!

Kirk McElhearn kirklists at wanadoo.fr
Thu Jan 13 02:04:08 PST 2005

On 1/13/05 10:56 AM, "lesposen at optushome.com.au" <lesposen at optushome.com.au>
wrote:

> Apple does this (256MB) because of two reasons, I believe.
>
> RAM price remains volatile - the other components can be more tightly
> figured in the total costings.
>
> Second, it gives local Apple resellers an opportunity to work out extra
> deals for customers, and
> differentiate themselves, as well as get a little cut on the extra RAM
> itself.

The problem is that some of us don't have any local Mac resellers. If I were
to buy a Mac mini from the online Apple Store, it would cost almost as much
as the computer to upgrade it to 1 GB RAM. I think this is a serious
problem; if Apple wants to attract PC users, these are often going to be
people who already have compatible RAM in an older PC, and who will want to
use it in the Mac mini. Making this a guarantee-voiding operation is
foolish, and sounds like the way automakers won't let you use parts they
haven't made.

This, in fact, is a deal-breaker for me - I won't be buying a Mac mini
(though I could use one) because of the cost of RAM.

Kirk

            Author of: How to Do Everything with Mac OS X Panther
      Kirk McElhearn | Chemin de la Lauze | 05600 Guillestre | France