[X4U] logicboard problem

Jon Warms jwarms at mac.com
Fri Jan 14 11:02:41 PST 2005

On  Thu, 13 Jan 2005 14:43:32 -0500, Jeff Carruthers wrote:

> On Jan 13, 2005, at 2:01 PM, chronos326 at earthlink.net wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> I have a powermac g4 quicksilver 2002 model w/ 1 gig of ram and a 1.2
>> gig processor w/ a superdrive and an internal 250 zipdrive. Yesterday
>> my airport internet was unable to connect. So I ran some basic trouble
>> shooting steps to no avail. Things I have done, fsck repair
>> permissions, ran disk warrior and TTP4 and defragmented my hard drive.
>> After all that upon restarting the final time the finder kept crashing
>> and the clock said it had been reset to 1969. So I ran the apple
>> hardware test cd and it said the logic board failed. Also it gave me
>> the error message of scc_3/7/. Im not sure what that means but I think
>> its pointing to the battery that stores the settings for the clock and
>> other things. Most of my preferences were reset to the defaults as
>> well. I have comp usa and frys here as well to buy parts.
>> Thanx,
>> spoonbender...
> I'd replace the internal battery (which holds the PRAM settings) first
> and then reset the little red button (CUDA?) on the main logic board
> and see whether that clears up the problems. After that, I'd reseat the
> RAM.
>
> Next thing to try would be reinstalling the OS (archive and install)
> and see if that makes a diff.
>
> Anyway, that's what I'd try. Others will undoubtedly have other
> suggestions.
>
> Jeff

I add to Jeff's post and and suggest that after you reset the PRAM and
the CUDA button, start from the factory cd. Obviously, if that's
successful
you've eliminated some possible hw problems.

BTW, how do you know the problem was in your Mac? Do you know
if the ABS had an internet connection? What did the lights on the modem
say? What was the light pattern on the ABS? Were you able to network
with
the ABS? In my experience, most wireless connectivity problems are on
the
network side, not in the computer. And the batteries usually last
closer to
five years (though not always).

Jon