[X4U] Stopping Spam - Does Anything Work?

revDAVE coolcat at hostalive.com
Sat Jan 15 06:23:13 PST 2005

I have a favorite older e-mail address, that gets around 100 or more Spam
E-Mail's per day. Even though my Spam filter does a great job ( Spam Sieve),
I am getting very sick of checking the spam Mail for false positives prior
to deletion.

So, before I retire my favorite old email address,  I was wondering if
there's any way to get spammers to stop -  Org least cut down on spamming
you?

For example:  I know that a major No - No is to respond to the sender -
however what about sending them a bounce back message? Would that help at
all?

At one point I deleted  a highly spammed e-mail address ( at the ISP server)
for three months -  in the hopes that spammers would see this as a dead
address -  but when I recreated that address ( at the ISP host ) -  the Spam
started right back up again...

- are there any other tricks I can try first?

- Losing Good New E-mail's

Also:  Given the above situation - with tons of Spam associated with an
address ... A new problem has arisen for me: ...  Basically, as I checked
for false positives in the Spam folder ...  There is a greater and greater
chance - that a legitimate E-mail sent from a good person who is new -  and
not in my e-mail address book - will get missed -  and I will accidentally
toss it. Is there any way to protect against this type of loss? For example
- if a friend of mine tells me that a friend of his might send me E-mail - I
will either try to get it and add that person's e-mail address in advance -
or will tell my friend to tell the person to write something crazy in the
subject line that I will not miss...

 Any Other Good Tricks?

--
Thanks - RevDave