[X4U] Powerbook power button...

Stroller MacMonster at myrealbox.com
Mon Jan 17 01:59:55 PST 2005

On Jan 16, 2005, at 7:00 pm, Vince Lewis wrote:

> On Jan 16, 2005, at 10:44 AM, Stroller wrote:
>
>> Putting my Powerbook to sleep is starting to annoy me. I can do it in
>> two ways, either by reaching into the corner of the screen for the
>> Apple menu & choosing sleep there, or by pressing the handy
>> power-button by the keyboard.
>>
>> Unfortunately, when I choose the latter, I still have to use the
>> mouse (or trackpad), because I get a window of 4 options come up, and
>> I have to click on the "sleep" option. If I wished to shutdown, I
>> could just press the enter key...
>
> Try hitting the "S" key for Sleep, or thr "R" for Restart and of
> course, the Escape key for Cancel.

Ah! Many thanks. That's perfect.

> And another tip I just learned--when there are two buttons
> highlighted, one of which is "fully" highlighted to trigger by the
> Return key and the other is only slightly highlighted, hitting the
> spacebar triggers that one.

Yes, I was aware of that one, and use it quite a lot - I find it one of
Apple's more intuitive keyboard shortcuts.

I've also recently started using Apple-Q and Apple-W to close windows &
applications - because the keys are so close together I keep finding
that I'm always quitting OmniWeb rather than closing a single window!

Thanks for eveyone's help,

Stroller.